MINNEAPOLIS — The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is collecting weather items to distribute to the homeless.
The drive is a continuation of a program that started in Jan. 2019, when record low temperatures presented life-threatening challenges to those without shelter.
“Last January, we responded to an extended stretch of brutally cold weather by collecting cold weather items from the generous people of Hennepin County,” said Sheriff David P. Hutchinson.
The items may also be distributed to individuals leaving jail or court hearings without adequate clothing.
Donations of new or gently used cold weather items may be donated at drop boxes placed at the locations below. HCSO is accepting donations from Tuesday, Dec. 10 through Feb. 1. The dates of the donation drive may be adjusted based on weather and need.
- Sheriff's Administration: 350 S 5th Street, Room 6, Minneapolis, MN 55415 (8 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
- Sheriff's Public Safety Facility: 401 S 4th Ave., Minneapolis, MN 55415 (24 hours)
- Sheriff's Water Patrol: 4141 Shoreline Dr., Spring Park, MN 55384 (8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
- Sheriff's Emergency Communications Facility: 1245 Shenandoah Lane N, Plymouth, MN 55447 (8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
- Sheriff's Patrol Headquarters: 9401 83rd Ave. N, Brooklyn Park, MN 55445 (8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
- Minneapolis Central Library: 300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401 9 (a.m. – 9 p.m. Mon-Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Saturday, noon – 5 p.m. Sunday)